Samsung has announced its flagship phone, Galaxy S IV. It takes the best from its predecessors and improves on them.
The sleekness of S2, the large display, small bezel of Note, and elegance and compactness of S3. Galaxy S4 has virtually zero bezel, making it 5″ screen without increase dimensions over Galaxy s3 width wise.
This 5″ display is world’s best sporting 1920×1080 pixel resolution which nails down to 441ppi.
S4 is sleeker at 7.9mm thickness (versus 8.6mm on the GS III) but there is no change in weight. It feels great in hand, sturdy, no strain. Galaxy S4 is taller, but thinner, we loved the move in those directions.
Galaxy S4 Full Specs
- CPU: Exynos 5 Octa (8-core processor) 1.6ghz (ARM Cortex A15 cores (1.8GHz) and four Cortex A7 cores, only 4 can be active at a time) (28nm fabrication) (International version) and for US Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro or Snapdragon 600 1.9Ghz Quad-core.
- GPU: PowerVR SGX 544MP3 at 533MHz or Adreno 330 (based on region)
- Display: 5″, 1920×1080 Super AMOLED HD+, Gorilla Glass 3
- Camera: 13MP rear with flash, 2MP front, both capable of 1080p video
- Battery: 2600mAh, with wireless charging
- Dimensions: 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm (5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 130grams
- Storage: 16, 32, 64GB + micro SD card slot
- RAM: 2GB
- OS: Android 4.2.2 JellyBean
- Connectivity: 4G LTE, 3.5G, 3G, Bluetooth 4, Wifi 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC (Gigabit wireless), proximity, gyro, NFC, accelerometer, GPS, Infrared, etc
Galaxy S4 is designed to excel. However, there will be variations in specs across countries. It’ll be sold with either a Samsung Exynos 5 or Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, depending on region, but other specs will essentially remain the same.
The 5-inch display is great to look at, but it still uses PenTile subpixel arrangement, but you wont have any problems on such a high resolution display.
The Display’s capacitive touch is so good that it also works with Gloves-on.
Galaxy S4 features
Galaxy S4 runs Android 4.2.2 Jellybean with latest TouchWiz 5.0. Samsung has done really good job in improving on each of its features and adding a whole lot of new ones.
It supports wireless charging, if you care about that.
Here is a summary video of what’s new in Galaxy S IV.
Camera enthusiasts would love the Galaxy S4. The all new 13-megapixel borrows lots of features from its bigger brother Galaxy Camera. You now get features like on-screen mode dial and a few of the scene modes.
The camera also features Dual Shot and Dual Video features that let you take shot and videos from front and rear cameras at the same time and put them together into one shot
Media sharing in Galaxy S4 is re-thought. From S-Beam, samsung has come a long way. You can now do a lot more, and you don’t need data or Wifi connectivity for any of that.
1. Group Play
Play and share same Music or Video across multiple devices without having to worry about Wifi or data connection. It just works when you’re in the same vicinity. This uses Wifi-Direct.
You can also play Multiplayer games over Group Play, again, no Wi-Fi or data connectivity required.
2. Samsung Watch ON
Share to a bigger screen like your TV and take control of it via your phone.
3. Screen Share
Galaxy Note 2′s Air View has been re-imagined. Now you can have Air view without S-Pen stylus. Use your finger and move it in the air to see a quick preview without even touching the screen.
A translator app that translates from one language to another in Real-time. Essentially a Google translator alternative with better UI.
Samsung is paying good attention to your health. They have now integrated the Galaxy S4 with pedometer to take a note of your walking, running habits. You can count your footsteps, monitor your workouts, health, and meet your own targets.
Galaxy S4 Handson Review Video
(from Android Central)