As we saw earlier, OS 3.1 doesn’t bring much of a use. But there are few things like signal improvements which are worth for a few. Any ways choosing the right OS is upto you and guiding on how to jailbreak it is upto me 🙂
Update: Guide to iPhone 3GS Jailbreak unlock 3.1
Update 2: Guide to iPhone Jailbreak 3.1.2 (blackra1n)
Update 3: Guide to iPhone Unlock, Jailbreak 3.1.2
So here we go thanking Dev Team for releasing new Pwnage tool, which now makes it possible to Jailbreak, Unlock iPhone 3.1 iPhone 3G users are advised to use Pwnage tool for retaining their current baseband.
Start these Downloads, as you read on:
Don’t get confused by “or” choose either of them.
All you have to do is download a custom firmware hotlinked below this custom firmware is created with Dev team Pwnage Tool that strips out the baseband update from the upgrade.
Read these Guidelines by Dev Team, before touching the firmware on your iPhone:
- If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Apple’s direct updates. (in case you have done this, follow Downgrade baseband guide.)
- If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
- This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
- If you already updated your iPhone 3G to 3.1 non pwned or Apple firmware then you can’t enjoy UltraSn0w anymore.
- For iPhone 2G, follow first 2 steps and for iPhone 3G follow 3rd step aswell.
- Golden Rule: During the restore, if you get into any trouble, then put your phone in DFU mode and try again all over again.
Let’s Rock n Roll:
Step 1: Preparing your iPhone
Launch your iTunes9 (upgrade if you already haven’t), connect your iPhone and put it inphone in DFU mode by following instructions.
- Turn the phone off
- Hold power and Home buttons together for exactly 10 seconds
- Release power, while holding home button till the pc detects USB device.
A Display set to OFF shows that you were successful. If this doesn’t work for you searh for “iphone DFU” on Youtube.
Step 2: Restoring
For Mac, Click on ‘Ok’ to the prompt displayed and hold Option key and then hit Restore button. For Windows, hold the shift key and then hit the restore button.
New window popsup asking you to locate your custom firmware. After selecting, iTunes will start decompressing and then will install. This is an automatic process, sit back and relax.
When it finishes, if you are on iPhone 2G, you are done. Your phone is jailbroken (with cydia installed) and Unlocked. 🙂
For iPhone 3G, there’s just one more thing. ROFL like Steve Jobs always says.
Step 3: Installing Ultrasn0w (for 3G only)
Launch cydia, Manage > sources > Edit > Add “http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com/”. This is the source for Ultrasn0w unlock for 3G.
After your sources refresh, search for “Ultrasn0w” and install it. Then Reboot . When it starts again, wait on the slide to unlock screen for say 10 seconds and after reaching home screen wait another 10. If you don’t see the your network working, reset network settings and try reinserting the SIM card and wait another 10 seconds.
You should be done.
Troubleshooting: Follow this guide if you get any iTunes Errors 16xx (1601,1602, 1603, 1604)