The power is now in your hands. The process is pretty quick and simple to do if you’re savvy enough and have rooted a device before or have experience in ADB. It doesn’t require much to root it, just a few files and some ADB wizardy.
Warning: Rooting will void your warranty. (however, there are ways of unrooting a device. Might those aren’t available as of now).
In case you need any help for rooting your Android device, get in touch @taranfx on twitter.
How to Root Nexus S
- Connect your Nexus S to your PC/Mac and make sure device debugging is enabled. Install device drivers (if needed)
- Reboot into your bootloader/fastboot mode by pressing the following key combination – Volume + Power Up, or use the command “adb reboot bootloader” from terminal/command prompt.
- Next, use the command “fastboot oem unlock” to unlock the bootloader.
- Lets now install the Recovery. Download the recovery image, and run the following command “fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-herring.img”
- Boot into Clockwork recovery and install the Superuser zip file (adb reboot recovery, or from fastboot choose recovery). Congrats, You’ve successfully rooted your Nexus S phone!!!
- (optional, if you’ve no idea what pt. 6 is about, stop here) To install a rooted/insecure boot image (adb has root) use the command “fastboot flash boot rootboot.img“
Have fun with your device, be the SuperUser!