Barnes & Nobels eBook Reader has been rooted by XDA developers to install Android Market and all possible 200,000 Android apps on the Nook including Amazong Kindle app to read Amazon Kindle bookks on Nook.
It took me less than 5 minutes to execute all rooting instructions to root the device, enable Android Market, download Market apps for Android.
What You Need
1. A Nook Color with USB cable
2. 64 MB+ microSD card + sd card reader.
3. A computer (Windows, Linux or Mac) with DiskImager (windows). Checkout NooksDev.com for linux, Mac.
Steps to Root a Nook Color (Android)
1. Download Auto Nooter that matches your Nook’s OS version “Settings” >> “Device Info” >> “About your NOOKcolor” >> Software version:
- for 1.0.0 – GabrialDestruir’s auto nooter 2.12.15 15 Dec 2010
- for 1.0.1 – GabrialDestruir’s auto nooter 2.12.25 25 Dec 2010
2. Extract the image file from the ZIP and use DiskImager to copy it to SD card with your card reader. Warning: this will remove all contents of the card.
3. Remove the microSD card and insert it into your Nook and Connect the device to your computer via USB cable. The device will power up and book from the SD card but the screen will not turn on. This is normal.
4. After about a minute or so, USB device would be detected, which confirms ROOTing is completed. Don’t bother abour drivers.
5. Disconnect the USB cable and remove the card from the reader.
6. Hold the power button for 20 seconds and then releasing it. Then press the power button briefly to power the reader on.
7. As the reader boots you will see a red splash screen. Once the reader boots, you will be prompted for your Google account, just like any other Android device.
8. Open the extras folder and launch Market. Download Kindle app, and all others you wish to have. Enjoy!