Before you get on with the installation, let me deliver some facts about Installing Android ICe Cream Sandwich on PC, Mac. The installation is possible, thanks to the android-x86 project.
Pros of Native Install:
- You get Google Android Market
- All Official Google Apps ( Gmail, yahoo, talk, you name it)
- All google services
- Fast & responsive.
- Instant Sleep, restore. Fastest implementation of Sleep we’ve ever seen on a PC
- Install to USB, or HDD.
- Provides utility to partition your hard disk.
- Create fake SDcard.
- No 3D Hardware acceleration is supported, yet.
- No network connectivity on couple of hardwares. But its improving soon.
Update: Install, Run Android on Windows PC Natively [Fast, WindowsAndroid]
How to Install Android ICS on PC, Mac
Download Android x86 ICS ISO files for your hardware (Android-x86-4.0-RC1).
Following Netbooks, Notebooks are officially Supported:
- Asus EeePC
- Asus laptops
- Motion m1400
- Toshiba satellite s103
- Tegatech tegav2
- HP Pavillion tx2500
Other than listed devices, Android-x86 should work on others too. An old list of supported devices / hardware can be found here.
- Download UNetbootin to flash the ISO image to a thumb drive. Or you can burn the ISO image to a CDROM.
- Boot from CD / USB , it will directly run Android, and you should boot without any problems. This will be a LIVE Android.
- If you like to install, reboot and select install option.
You can also install Android ICS on Virtualbox, if native isn’t your thing:
- Create a new virtual machine of type Ubuntu linux wth 1GB RAM, and all standard options.
- Follow the steps already mentioned above.
- *When using it in VirtualBox, make sure you select “Disable Mouse Integration”
- *Disable screen autorotate from the Android-x86 settings, or else some application might rotate it for you (and that’s quite annoying if your device doesn’t support it)
- To enable Ethernet, Internet, read Android-x86 with VirtualBox support with Ethernet enabled.
The process is fairly simple, but if you need any assistance, watch the Guide video:
Dual Boot Ubuntu, Android x86 with Grub
Enjoy your Android ICS.