What this means that development and QA have finished all the planned feature and test development work in the release. Up next, they will be testing and bug fixing on all supported JDK 7 platforms. This is a major step towards JDK 7 General Availability (GA).
Java 7 has been delayed several times, as per the last schedule, it was suppose to go FC on 12/16.
The FC milestone allows for exceptions to be integrated later. Such new features would come from updated JAXP/JAXB/JAX-WS and integration of the enhanced JMX agent from JRockit. However, these won’t affect the current Roadmap.
However, the factor that can delay JDK7 further would be introduction of modifications in JSRs which are controlled by Expert Groups for the JSRs 203, 292, 334, 336.
Java JDK 7 Features:
Features are listed in order, more or less, from lowest to highest in the overall JDK software stack.
- vm – JSR 292: Support for dynamically-typed languages (InvokeDynamic), Strict class-file checking [NEW]
- lang – JSR 334: Small language enhancements (Project Coin)
- core – Upgrade class-loader architecture , Method to close a URLClassLoader, Concurrency and collections updates (jsr166y)
- i18n – Unicode 6.0, Locale enhancement, Separate user locale and user-interface locale
- ionet – JSR 203: More new I/O APIs for the Java platform (NIO.2) , NIO.2 filesystem provider for zip/jar archives, SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol), SDP (Sockets Direct Protocol), Use the Windows Vista IPv6 stack, TLS 1.2
- sec – Elliptic-curve cryptography (ECC)
- jdbc – JDBC 4.1
- client – XRender pipeline for Java 2D, Create new platform APIs for 6u10 graphics features, Nimbus look-and-feel for Swing, Swing JLayer component
- web – Update the XML stack
- mgmt – Enhanced JMX Agent and MBeans [NEW]