If the Nexus 5 was the Bull (cash cow, pun intended) of its time, Nexus 5x specs make it look like a calf of the present. Nexus series took a giant leap from Nexus 5 to Nexus 6 and there were obvious milestones in-between that were left unexplored. Seemed obvious from a tech-only focused company Google. Someone in the marketing ranks woke up to the idea of flank strategy and here we are. enter Nexus 5x and Nexus 6P.
Having lowered your expectations now we bring you the next level payload of Nexus 5x. Being slightly bigger and bulkies than its predecessor, the Nexus 5x has bigger 5.2 inch screen having same 1080p resolution. The real punch is in the processing prowess, it has Quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53 & dual-core 1.82 GHz Cortex-A57 and Adreno 418 GPU. A better rear camera at 12.3MP and front camera at 5MP. And last but not the least, it has better battery of 2700 mAh (Li-Po) and newer colors.
Nexus 5X Full Specs:
- CPU – Quad-core 1.44 GHz Cortex-A53 & dual-core 1.82 GHz Cortex-A57
- GPU Adreno 418
- RAM: 2GB RAM
- Display: 5.2 inches 1080 x 1920 pixels capacitive touchscreen
- Camera Rear: 12.3 MP laser autofocus
- Camera Front: 5 MP front camera
- Storage: 16GB/32GB internal
- Connectivity: Bluetooth v4.0, A2DP, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot, FM radio, microUSB v2.0 Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, A-GPS, GLONASS
- Data: 4G LTE
- OS: Android OS 6.0 Marshmallow
- Weight: 136 grams
- Dimensions: measuring 5.79 (147mm) x 2.86 (72.6mm) x 0.31 (7.9mm) inches
- Battery: Li-Po 2700 mAh, battery not removeable
- Expansion slot: None
- Microphones: Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- Speakers: Speakers
- Colors: Carbon, Quartz, Ice
- Sensor: Finger print reader on the back, below the rear camera; Sensor Hub, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Barometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor
First this you observe moving toward back side of the phone is that the camera has moved down and been aligned towards center. The camera is better now with 12.3 MP however the capture resolutions remain at par with previous Nexus 5. However the camera barely crosses mediocrity with a f/2.0 aperture. The IR laser-assisted autofocus makes image capturing slightly faster than the competition. For videos, the camera has capability to record videos in 4K at 30 frames per second.
Google seems to have carried forward the Motorola design DNA by retaining circular dot on the back of the phone where Moto logo used to be present. Rather this same very circular dot is now a finger print sensor.
Overal the package seems promising and pricing is slightly higher than economical benchmarks. However performance could have been further boosted with addtional RAM atleast 3GB. Camera department could have been boosted with a better resolution rear camera.