iPhone OS 3.1 Beta SDK and firmware is out with Testers and soon will be full.The new features are exposed. The update primarily applies to fix certain issues on both previous gen and iPhone 3G S. It improves video editing and app integration, Voice Control over Bluetooth and a slew of minor tweaks.
Here’s the key points:
* Video editing on iPhone 3GS wont overwrite the clip over the original when you are editing a clip.
* iPhone will now vibrate whenever you switch to the mode where you can move and arrange icons on the iPhone home screen.
* “Fraud Protection” toggle has been added to settings under Safari.
* iPhone boot time is now faster.
* Voice Control over Bluetooth.
* New APIs to enable third party apps to access videos and edit them.
* Updated AT&T profile to 4.2
* Updated modem firmware to 5.08.01
* Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz.
Most the of the fixes/updates are irrelevant for 99.9% of the iPhone users, none of them is critical. Not worth an upgrade unless you are on iPhone 3G S. Holdon till 3.2 where you can expect more new features for odler iPhone generations as well. 3.1 Targets fixes which look like severity 4 or 5.