First, Engadget found this device running what clearly looks like an iPhone app, although we’ve never seen an iPhone app with that interface or at that resolution before. We also see a WiFi icon and a cell service indicator, although tragically there’s no carrier listed.
Then came the anticipation from another CEO, Jason Calacanis.
He’s no prankster, he’s a not-so-well-known web entrepreneur, founder of Weblogs, Inc., co-founder of TechCrunch50 and CEO of search engine Mahalo. He dropped some major hints on the Apple tablet that’s going to be presented in couple of hours.
He claims that he has hands-on the tablet given by Apple 10 days ago, adding “For background: apple asked me to do press tomorrow on cnbc, cnn, etc.”.
As CrunchGear calls it, he literally spoiled the Unveiling event if everything he said is Real.
- it’s “the most amazing device ever”
- it’s “really amazing for newspapers”
- video conferencing is “super stable”
- Battery life is “great” when it comes to reading ebooks but not so great (2-3 hours) in Wi-Fi mode or when playing games
- tailor-made games are “sick”, on Wii level
- the customized Farmville app (which Jobs is going to demo tomorrow with the CEO of the company behind it) is “insane”
Functions and features:
- OLED screen
- Solar pad for recharging on the back (the device is mainly battery-powered)
- the tablet is running on an iPhone OS variation (we know this from McGraw CEO)
- it can run multiple apps at the same time (Wow Multitasking, finally)
- it has thumb pads on each side (for mouse gestures)
- fingerprint verification (up to 5 profiles can be registered on one device)
- HDTV tuner, a PVR and a chess game built-in
- back camera and front camera (quote: “u shoot what’s in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!”)
- wireless keyboard + monitor connection for external monitors
Availability and price:
- the tablet will be offered by Verizon and ATT
- it will cost $599, $699 or $799, depending on the screen size and internal memory
He refused to reveal the name or any pics coz doing that could seriously piss Apple off. So are these all true? Looks true to me, we’ll know soon. Stay tuned for Live coverage @taranfx on Twitter.