Your current generation (or older) car runs on a mini computer which centrally controls the operations within the car. This is the micro-computer which is responsible for monitoring and controlling everything from inflated tires to the stereo in your car.
If you own a Honda, Toyota, BMW, Chrysler, VW, or Mini Car manufactured within last 10 years, you can hack to make it work according to you. Well, this holds true for cars in U.S. and Canada, others would have to check before proceeding.
The Car Kracker project aims at hacking the internals of your car as you take over its mini computer. With Car Kracker, you can do things like display messages on your stereo, play music off an SD card, and even override factory settings like always-on daytime running lights. All this is done using ISO 9141, a standard for in-car communications.
The build uses a Gadget Gangster Propeller board to connect to the CD changer port and OBD-2 port in the trunk, and the diagnostic port located under the hood.
The Car Kracker an open-source addon for your car that lets you do couple of cool Hacks including:
- Add an Aux-In or music jukebox
- Remap steering wheel buttons
- Remove the Nav warning screen
- Display text like emails and SMS on your Sat Nav, radio, or dashboard
- Access engine and performance data like air/fuel ratio, oil pressure/temp, and VANOS
- Code retrofit parts like rain sensors, run-flat tires, theft alarms, and keys
- Access the proprietary error logs to troubleshoot engine, transmission, or accessory problems.
- Upgrade Engine / Transmission firmware,
- remove the speed limiter also Rev limiter,
- reset warning lights,
- and change dealer settings.
Car Hack Demo goes here:
Car Compatibility List
It works for couple of cars, even if its not mentioned here. The mentioned ones have been tested. Essentially it works on most Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, VW, and BMW’s from 1995-2005. However, the commands vary between manufacturers and models. The Car Kracker can be programmed to support other cars, but out of the box:
- 3-Series, 1998 – 2007 (e46)
- 5-Series, 1995 – 2004 (e39)
- 7-Series, 1994 – 2001 (e38)
- X3, 2004 – 2010 (e83)
- X5, 1999 – 2006 (e53)
- Z4, 2002 – 2008 (e85, e86)
- One / Cooper / S, 2001 – 2006 (r50, r53)
- Convertible, 2005-2008 (r52)
- Land Rover
- Range Rover, 1999 – 2003 (L30)